- 100g plain flour
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 50g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 150 – 175ml buttermilk
- a little extra wholemeal flour is needed for dusting
- Heat the oven to 1900C/Gas5. Put all the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and rub it into the flour. Make a ‘well’ in the centre of the ingredients.
- Add sufficient (almost all) the buttermilk and, using a wooden spoon, mix quickly and lightly until a soft dough forms. Do not ‘over mix’ or the bread could become heavy, tough and chewy.
- Shape the dough into a round shape. Put it on a floured baking tray. Dust the top lightly with wholemeal flour.
- Mark a deep cross on the top of the dough.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes until well risen and the bread sounds hollow when tapped underneath.